Monday, June 7, 2010

Bringing Up Girls

I Review For The Tyndale Blog Network

I really enjoyed the book "Bringing up Girls" by James Dobson. In the beginning, I thought this book would be more geared toward mothers as naturally it seems mothers want to know the best advice on raising daughters. However, once I read the book, I discovered that there is a great deal of information geared toward fathers. I shared many of the things I read with my husband, and now that I have finished the book, he has started reading it. This book was thought provoking and led my husband and I to discuss our past parenting experience as well as things that we would like to add to or change about our future parenting endeavors. James Dobson is able to provide not only information based on many years of research, but also practical information based on his experience working with girls throughout the years as well as his experience raising his own daughter. James Dobson does present a strong opinion about stay at home parenting in this book. At times, I did not like reading those sections as I am a working mother. I do feel that overall; this book is an excellent tool to use. It is based on Biblical principles and provides a loving approach to parenting. I also liked this book because you can read it no matter what age your daughter is. Our daughters are 3 and 7, but the parenting strategies used in this book could also be used for teenagers. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is concerned about raising a daughter with high moral values and a strong self esteem.

Tyndale House Publishers provided me with a complimentary copy of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment